So in March, as I was driving home with Teresa after we both got our hair cut, Pat calls my cell phone. "Hey do you want to go to the Colorado Rockies game on Saturday, April 11th, it's not the home opener but it is the second game?" OK, for any of you who know Pat well you know this wasn't really a question. He was already online on the Colorado Rockies website waiting to hit the buy now button for the game...he just wanted to hear me say yes so that if he has buyers remorse later it was not just his fault. Oh man I love him!!! Of course I'm not going to tell him no, and he knows that, as we both love baseball and miss having our season tickets to the Ogden Raptors. My response was as long as we are home Sunday evening because we have already invited the Nielsen's for Easter dinner. "Yeah, of course, that's not a problem!"
The original plan seriously was to leave early Saturday morning, drive to Denver, watch the game, go to a hotel sleep a few hours and leave very early Sunday morning to come home. Well we decided that was just too much in too little time, as we know because that is how it worked when Pat went to the World Series Game 3 in Denver, the Red Sox against the Rockies in 2007. We drove there, I dropped him off at Coors Field, I went to the mall and walked around and then sat in an area the mall had with couches and a big screen TV and watched the game from where it was warm, I went and picked Pat up from the field, we went to the hotel and slept for about 6 hours and then we were on our way home.
New plan, Kim get off work early at noon on Friday, get home get the car loaded, when Pat gets home from work around 2:30 we head out the door by three. Wait, even newer plan...Pat takes the day off, takes Kim to work, comes home loads the car and relaxes, be at Kim's work at noon and leave for Denver. Wait, wait, why does Pat get to have the day off, Kim wants a day off! OK, best plan yet, we both have Friday off so we can take our time getting there...oh hold on we have Friday off the day of the home opener, let's get tickets for that!!! Opening day game starts at 2:15 pm, YEAH! Opening Day SOLD OUT...man. Go to Stubhub.com see if there are any tickets for sale. Found some, $45 a piece, only $5 less than the tickets for game on Saturday, seats in no mans land, oh well we got tickets. Overnight shipping so we get them in time as will call is not an option for this purchase, another $19.95, oh and a parking pass another $15. Pat's reasoning..."When Robert and I went to see the Braves play the Rockies we drove around forever trying to get a spot, it'll be worth it." We ended up spending more on the home opener on Friday then for Saturday's game for much, much , much worse seats.
Now that we are leaving Friday morning and spending some extra time in Denver I make Pat promise we will attend the Denver Temple as well. Pat loves the temple as much as I do so he is all for it, especially since we are going to see 2 games too, it's a win win situation. Time for entertainment and fun as well as time for feeling closer to the Lord.
I just have to start off that I love taking road trips! I'm being very serious, I love the time that Pat and I have to just talk about anything and everything. We listen to music on his Zune, I don't think there is a song that I would want to listen to that he doesn't have, laughing at and reminiscing back to our teenage years and some of the music we used to listen to. Good times!!!
We get to Denver and go straight to the fields parking area, we still walk about a mile but come to find out so worth the money we spent ($15), as anywhere else immediately near the ball park is $40 to $50, no lie! Our seats are 3 rows from the top in the 3rd concourse...can we say NOSE BLEED! I'm really not complaining we had a great time!! I just have to say the opening ceremonies made me CRY, it was so beautiful. I have always been a patriotic person but when your spouse is one who helps defend the country it becomes very personal! The opening ceremonies of course had the National Anthem which all were invited to sing (I started but choked up so much from crying that I just stopped and listened and continued to cry) and then they honored all of those serving at home and abroad. A flag the size of the outfield was displayed,there was a fly by of F-16's, fireworks, confetti and balloons. It was a truly amazing and beautiful display. If I figure out how to post a video I will post it...please forgive my attempt to sing the Star Spangled Banner.
After the game we went and checked into our hotel and went to dinner at 3 Margaritas, a Mexican restaurant...talk about spicy salsa, I can handle spice and a lot at that but I think this is the first time that Pat and I did not finish chips and a bowl of salsa at a restaurant.
Saturday morning we slept in a bit and then headed for the temple. Oh I love the feeling of being in the temple, the love, the peace...I miss having a temple right down the street. I also wonder why we took it for granted when it was so close! There are only two pics of the temple and none with us in them because the only people outside were there for a wedding...didn't quite seem appropriate to ask them to take pictures of us. After going back to the hotel and changing we found The Elephant Bar and Restaurant where we had lunch, good food and GREAT service! Once lunch was over we had to make a trip to See's Candies, basic tradition if we go to Utah or Colorado, I love the peanut brittle (and yes they make it in Sugar Free) plus we get some to send Suzy in Okinawa! While they (the Lewis') were stationed here at Ellsworth whichever one of us went to Utah to visit always brought the other some See's back. I guarantee you that when Pat and Robert went to Denver they did not come home to me and Suzy without See's. What wonderful, thoughtful and SMART husbands we have!
The game Saturday was great, our seats were only 27 rows behind the dugout in the first concourse. We had a much better view of the game. The game did not start until 6:10 though so it got cold, well worth it.
Sunday morning we headed home although we ran into very thick fog in Cheyenne, WY our drive home was mostly in rain which made the road trip again wonderful. Time to just talk and visit!
We made it home in time to fix Easter dinner and even get a shower and nap in before our friends came for dinner. You will see a couple of pics of Teresa, Anthony and Zachary taking their turn playing Guitar Hero World Tour after dinner. Luckily know one else knew where the camera was while I was playing!
Although this Easter weekend was not a traditional Easter celebration for us, we really do know the reason for Easter and all that it represents. We are thankful for Resurrection of Jesus Christ and the blessings it brings into our lives.
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment